Working Subgroup for Air quality
The Air Quality sub-chapter includes five directives: the framework Directive 2008/50/EC and 2016/2284/EC NEC, 2016/802/EC Sulphur content, 94/63/EC VOCs petrol and 2009/126/EC Stage II VOCs petrol Directives.
- The framework Directive, Directive 2008/50/EC on ambient air quality and cleaner air (Ambient Air Quality Directive) provides the general legal and policy context whereas more specific legal measures and guidance detailing implementation is left to be regulated by the Member States. Ambient air quality legislation aims at the establishment and maintenance of an air quality standard, which does not adversely affect human health or the environment. The Directive includes thresholds, limit values and target values set to assess each pollutant covered by the Directive, designation of zones and agglomerations and specific bodies to carry out the set tasks using data collected at selected sampling points. Other key elements of the Directive consist in the introduction of air quality plans where pollution levels in any particular area are higher than the thresholds and short-term action plans if there is a risk that pollution levels may exceed the thresholds etc.
- Directive 2016/2284 on the reduction of national emissions of certain atmospheric pollutants (the new National Emission Ceilings (NEC) Directive), sets national reduction commitments for the five pollutants (sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, volatile organic compounds, ammonia and fine particulate matter) responsible for acidification, eutrophication and ground-level ozone pollution which lead to significant negative impacts on human health and the environment.
- Directive (EU) 2016/802 of the European Parliament and the Council on the reduction in the sulphur content of certain liquid fuels, is intended to combat emissions of sulphur dioxide, which are one of the causes of acidification and particle formation in the EU, and are one of the factors causing damage to ecosystems, biodiversity and human health.
- Directive 94/63/EC On the control of volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions resulting from the storage of petrol and its distribution from terminals to service stations aims to reduce emissions from volatile organic compounds due to evaporation of petrol in the fuel storage and distribution chain. Amended by Regulations (EC) 1882/2003 and (EC) 1137/2008 and Decision EU (2018/853) of 30 May 2018.
- Directive 2009/126/EC on Stage II petrol vapour recovery during refuelling of motor vehicles at service stations aims the recovery petrol vapour displaced from the fuel tank of a motor vehicle during refuelling at a service station. Amended by Directive 2014/99/EU.